The Associated Press is reporting that Arab government-owned Dubai Ports World "abruptly abandoned its plan for managing operations at six U.S. ports Thursday" after the House Appropriations Committee voted 62-2 Wednesday to block the sale.
DP World will reportedly "divest itself of all American interests," according to the Washington Post. The company's top executive, H. Edward Bilkey, said DPW "will transfer fully the U.S. operations...to a United States entity."
The White House "expressed satisfaction" with the company's decision. "It does provide a way forward and resolve the matter," said Scott McClellan, the White House press secretary "We have a strong relationship with the UAE and a good partnership in the global war on terrorism, and I think their decision reflects the importance of our broader relationship."
Democrats were either so out of the loop that they did not know, or so upset that they did not care, that the deal had already been called off that they "made a late bid to take the issue back" by taking the floor in the Senate and loudly calling for an up-or-down vote on a deal which had already been cancelled, a move which Atlanta-based radio host Neal Boortz correctly called "foolish" and "desperate."
No comments:
Post a Comment